Good day of spring skiing

by: lonestarj - Mar 15, 2013

Pros: good intermediate terrain, well-trained lift attendants,

Cons: lame skiers, not many green runs, older facilities

Recommended For: Family Friendly, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2013

Took my 4 & 6-year olds for a change of scenery from skiing in Red River. They enjoyed the day. One is an intermediate skier comfortable on blues and the other a beginner green skier. We enjoyed a morning on the back side of the mountain doing the greens and blues. I didn't like the crowded "Highway" run that you have to take to get to the green runs. Lots of skiers and boarders ignoring the "slow" signs and zipping past my slower kids. We tried to do the front of the mountain in the afternoon. I enjoyed the long "Heading Home" run although I had to tow my kids through some flat spots. The base area was crowded for Texas Spring Break.

Some cons: The bus transfer from the parking lots was slow and crowded. Base facilities were old and need a re-model. The skiers at Angel Fire were kind of rude. Lots of ignoring the "slow" signs. While waiting for a scarce table at the mountain top grill, I had one guy from Dallas (said so on his lift ticket neck chain) let his kids ski off, sit back down at the table, look at myself and my two kids, and slowly eat a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup for 5 minutes before leaving the table. Just a very different vibe from other resorts I've skied.