Good overall experience, watch out for incompetent cashiers

by: thowes - Jan 4, 2011

Pros: Varied terrain, beautiful views from top.

Cons: Mathematically-challenged employees, small lodge/locker areas.

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2010

We visited Gunstock for the first time on New Year's Eve. We got there at opening and were initially horrified by the crowds, which I guess should come with the territory given the Holiday Break.

We had a great time in spite of the crowds. While the Express Lift to the top had consistent 15 minute waits, the other lifts which service the lower-half of the mountain had minimal to no lines all day. The terrain and conditions overall were excellent, and I never felt the trails were overly crowded. My kids and I got 1 hour lessons, which were helpful for the start of the season. Instructors were friendly and knowledgeable.

One significant caveat: When I went to buy lift ticket and lessons, the employee had no clue that Gunstock offered bundled lessons and lift tickets, and initially overcharged me. If I hadn't seen these packages (which are front and center on Gunstock's website), I would have been charged $50+ more than what I ended up paying.

A cashier inadvertently overcharged me for lunch too. When I questioned the amount and asked for a receipt to what I bought, the clerk said they couldn't get me one. Finally, one of the managers took care of it. No big deal, but for it to happen twice in one day was somewhat disturbing. Watch your wallet!

Overall, Gunstock is a great place for beginner-to immediate skiers and snowboarders. However, I would give Ragged Mountain a look if you want fewer crowds with a similar mountain experience.