by: Dave Varney - 8th April 2011

Challanging Terrain
People on trails they can't handle

This place is for serious skiers. I don't go here to sit in the base lodge, I don't go here to have a nice lunch, I don't go here to stay overnight--I go here to ski the steepest and most challanging terrain in NH. Who cares what the base facilities are...if I am not buying my ticket, I am on the slopes. I was surprised at the snow conditions at Cannon this late in the season. On April 8, the snow cover is equivalent to late January...NH got some good snow this year which has given us some awesome spring skiing. Many areas have closed already but it isn't because of the lack of snow. Cannon has added an extra week on their season and they could probably go longer. The top of the mountain today had nice firm snow which made for some great skiing. Even the lower trails had great snow and skiing but the snow was heavier and wetter. Cannon does have a beginner area, but it is set off a bit from the main ski trails. I've never been over there, so I cannot comment on its operations. I've never found crowds to be a problem at Cannon, particularly if you stick to the tougher trails. Lift lines can get long on weekends and holidays but my advice is to stick to the tougher terrain and you won't have a problem.