Won't go there again! Boarder Beware!

by: cosinezero - Mar 1, 2009

Pros: Easy parking - there's no one there.

Cons: Lifties hassling snowboarders and charging them a stupid tax

Recommended For: Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2009

Liftees angriliy insisting on snowboarders wearing leashes. Conveniently they are sold - not rented - in the shop, for $6.

Explaination? "It's the law in NH!" / "It's a state requirement!" ... ok, you're the law enforcement on this? I've been boarding for years, all over NH and NOT ONCE have been asked if I was wearing a leash. Know why? They do NOTHING because SNOWBOARDS DON'T FALL OFF and EVERY resort in NH knows it's an obsolete law - except Black.

Look, I'm not some snot-nosed teen punk snowboarder, either. I'm a mid-30s professional who snowboards - with friends (skiers and boarders alike), weekly, throughout new england.

Adding insult to injury is the handmade sign posted on each lift declaring this - but the professional permanent sign attached actually says that SKIIERS are "required to wear retention straps" also. Care to guess if I saw any skiiers (including the ones I was there with) asked to buy a $6 leash they didn't need either?

Discrimination against snowboarders is pretty much a relic of times past, but just like their aging lifts, their aging snowmaking abilities, their aging lodge, and their aging relevance, their attitude is a relic too.

For a resort so conveniently located near more convenient, nicer resorts, you'd think Black would make every effort to make every snow enthusiast feel welcome - one or two plankers alike. I'll take my money (and my friends, and their money) elsewhere.