by: shaun - 18th March 2012

Vast terrain, zero lift lines, friendly staff
None

There are not words to describe how much I enjoy this place. First off, it is absolutely massive. You like groomers? There's tons. Steeps? Trees? Tons of that too. I gave the terrain park 4 stars only because when I was there this year, they were just getting the fishbowl opened and there was just maybe a dozen very small features packed at the bottom of the run where the park is. I was kind of disappointed because I thought there was enough snow to have done much more, but I know that once they get the thing built, it's pretty good. Honestly though, as much as I like riding park, there are so many other places to have fun on Big Mountain that it didn't bother me in the least. The weather can be a bit challenging, but like they say, snow comes from clouds, so what are you gonna do? There are also plenty of nice places to eat or have beers, and overall, I didn't think the food was overly expensive. Certainly no more expensive that stuff at our local places in Western NY and PA. I definitely recommend going straight to be back of the mountain. Great runs and still no lift lines. The Bigfoot T-Bar is also a fun place to hang out when it's open. I stayed with a family member in Kalispell, so I can't really speak to accommodations and/or nightlife, but the town of Whitefish is great and has tons of cool bars and good spots to eat (Buffalo Cafe and Great Northern were great). Full disclosure - I'm from Northeast Ohio, so if you live in Utah or Colorado or something, maybe you wouldn't love it as much as I did, but I doubt it. I've also been to Okemo, and while Okemo is great, Whitefish puts it to shame. The vast amount of terrain and complete lack of lift lines make it great for anyone. If you're an east-coaster or Midwesterner looking to head out west, I highly, highly recommend checking out Whitefish. Oh, and if you want cheap lift tickets and have a Costco membership, the one in Kalispell sells lift for like 50 bucks. Oh, and the staff are some of the friendliest people on the planet, especially the lifties.