Great Local Resort

by: gumbo - Nov 7, 2011

Pros: Friendly, Local, Tubing Hill, Good Ski School

Cons: No true black diamonds, no bump runs

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2011

I live about ten minutes from Hidden Valley and I'm glad I do. When I moved to St. Louis (3 years ago) I was surprised to find any skiing at all. It's great to be able to get out and ski several times a month. Last year they opened a tubing hill so even non-skiers can have a blast here.

That said, this is skiing in Missouri. The mountains are small (300 vertical feet) and the snow is 100% man made. They only have two trails that are rated as most difficult (black diamonds) but put these trails in any other state and they are intermediate at best.

I don't understand many of the negative comments from other reviewers. More than one reviewer has complained about the difficulty of the slopes and icy conditions. My two children learned to ski here and by their third day they were off the bunny slopes and skiing the lift served terrain. Within a single season they were skiing every trail. As I said above, nothing here qualifies as more than intermediate. For the total beginner they have a "Magic Carpet" type lift that you just stand on with your skis on and it gently takes you to the top of the bunny hill. It's a great way to learn.

As for ice, I'll say it again, this is Missouri. Average daytime high temps here are well above freezing even in Jan and Feb. Also, the resort grooms all trails every night and usually once during the day on weekends. Occasionally patches will get "skiied off" exposing some icy surfaces but these can be avoided.

It's a great place if you accept it for what it is: a local, Midwest ski resort. If you're anywhere near St. Louis you won't find a better place to ski within 300 miles. My 3 star rating for nightlife takes into consideration that you can be in downtown St. Louis within 30 minutes.