Move somewhere else...

by: bcountryskier - Feb 13, 2013

Pros: Never far from chalet, hard to get lost, not much say in this section...

Cons: small, poorly maintained, slow lifts, short runs, bad food, and did I mention the LIFTS!?

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2013

Growing up in British Columbia I had great places at my disposal, like Whistler Blackcomb, Grouse Mountain, Cypress Mountain, and places down in Washington. Being still young, my parents moved to Rochester to work at the Mayo Clinic for a few years; I was against. Every other day I would go skiing on a big luscious mountain, so I knew my way around a pair of skis, and loved it so I looked into local places. Welch Village would always come up first as "largest" and "best rated", so I got a $99 olympic pass, and after a few visits I got familiar with the place. The first thing I noticed was the incompetent, careless lift workers smoking cigarettes, followed by a 10 minute ride up a minimal 300 feet mole hill. After the horrendous lift ride, I noticed that the 10 minute ride up was quickly erased by a 10 second ride down on awfully groomed fake snow. After about 2 hours of "skiing" (lift riding), I went inside for something to eat. I was shouted at in spanish for what I would like, and asked for a hamburger. The cook gave me a cheeseburger (I'm mildly lactose intolerant, but can handle a little bit), so I promptly pointed out that thats not what I ordered. He was nice and all, but instead of getting a new one, he picked up the cheeseburger and tries to pick off the disgusting melted "cheese" (by the way, this frozen synthetic "hamburger" was $12). After a failed lunch, I went back out and tried some new runs. The only two I enjoyed for their 10 second duration, were Bakkelyka and Chicken. I spent the rest of my time going down those runs, but soon was told not too. I'm not consider cocky, and hate to say this, but I've had far more experience than the majority of the people at that establishment. Ski Patrol, in a bratty "I'm better than you" way told my I was apparently going too fast down Bakkelyka, and banned me from that run. I soon responded and asked how I was going too fast and this chinless pig said I looked to be "out of control", even though I can report back, I wasn't. In the end, I highly recommend anyone going to Welch Village for fun, stay away, or just move somewhere else. If thats not an option, go into it open minded and cheerfully and ignore its many faults, and incompetent, piglike staff.

I only recommend Welch for beginner skiers, or anyone who has never been to a mountain and experienced what quality enjoyment of skiing in the outdoors is.