Spirit Mountain Review

by: fonixmunkee - Feb 28, 2008

Pros: Great night skiing, good lift system

Cons: Weather is at the mercy of Lake Superior

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2008

Spirit Mountain--just like all the other resorts in the Midwest--is suffering. I guess we took that early-season snowfall for granted. But since then, we've been blanked...I think we're going on two months now without any sort of real accumulation, and it's starting to show.

Spirit is a giant skating rink with the occasional burst of corduroy snow in between. I'm still tedious to go too fast because I don't feel my broken collarbone is completely healed yet, and the prospect of falling on rock-hard snow isn't helping my confidence. So slower turns are the way for me to go. The weather was nice decent yesterday, too, but still nippy. The wind was really whipping up off the lake, like it always does at Spirit. This also probably didn't help the snow conditions either. It really makes me miss the soft snow of Utah, or the soft pre-2008 groomers at Lutsen.

The best snow is where ever the snow is protected from the wind...mostly along the leeward side of the treelines (Timber cruise is one of the better ones). Everywhere else, the groomers are hard at work trying to keep the the snow from turning into hard pack gnar, and for this, I give them tons of credit for their efforts. If only the weather could cooperate!

Didn't head up to the Moosehead as it was late and I only swung up to Spirit to test my mettle against the Midwest ice since the first week of January. Worth the trip--it's always worth it when you get to ski, no matter where--and I'm sure I'll be back. Pray for more snow, or for a warm-up!