by: Troy Porter - 15th February 2014

Nice lodging, scenic views, chalets are modern
Poor setup, old equipment, poor snow maintenance, staff is RUDE

This was our first family trip to Lutsen in quite some time. My family frequented the area when I was a child, so my wife and in-laws decided to try it for a long weekend. Well - nothing has changed and not in a good way. The lifts are ancient (dangerous), when they are even on... For $72, you'd think all the lifts would be running. Only an average of about half were running, which limits the trails, as well as leads to a lot and of pushing to get to the lifts at the bottom. We were continually promised they'd open them, but they didn't. The real problem was the actual runs that were open were terribly groomed and almost dangerous. This place does not have a high percentage of decent beginner runs to begin with, so I'd never take a small child down the ice chunk laden runs they do provide. When I asked customer service on the last day why they thought that type of experience warranted the full price, they pushed me aside. They had my money at that point and didn't care about one customer who stood up. We won't be coming back. Honestly for not much more.... Go to a real mountain resort and get what you pay for: quality skiing and real customer service.....