Not impressive

by: Ashpoo - Feb 6, 2011

Pros: Quad lifts at Schuss, fire pits, CC ski trails

Cons: Long, unorganized lift lines

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2011

This was our first (and last) visit to Shanty Creek. Having visited almost all other ski areas in the Lower Peninsula, we were really excited to finally make it to Shanty. I usually do greens and blues, my better half does those with me and all the rest that I'm too chicken for.

We weren't sure which village to stop at (Cedar River, Schuss, or Summit) to begin skiing so we pulled in to Summit first. It wasn't really happening there, so we did a few runs and hopped on the shuttle bus for Schuss. The runs were okay, but already in the morning they were full of piles of crud. I don't know how many times I caught the back of my ski in a pile and thought I was headed for a spill. Although they may boast a good vertical, we didn't feel their runs were very long. I know, it's Michigan, but even for us they were shorter than average. Each lift at Schuss was a quad lift but the lines were UNORGANIZED. No one paying attention to the "singles only" line, probably because there were no line attendants to enforce or direct traffic. For a busy Saturday, there should have been more employees directing people. It's all willy-nilly, with tons of punk kids cutting in line whenever they feel like it. Almost all lifts converge on the top where it's a giant cluster of the aforementioned punk kids. Going back to the runs, there just weren't any that we fell in love with, none that I wanted to do again because it was just so much fun. That's purely subjective and I'm sure there are plenty of people that have fun on them. The terrain parks looked like they had plenty of fun elements. I only started skiing a couple years ago and I'm glad we waited to go to Shanty because there aren't many greens. I could handle those and most of the blues no problem. The beginner areas at Nubs and Boyne Highlands are much better (and free). We just prefer those two resorts along with Crystal, and even Caberfae, over Shanty.

Ivan's (the slopeside lounge) was fun and we liked the outdoor seating and fire pits. It doesn't look like there was a ton of ski in, ski out slopeside lodging options. There is one main lodge but then a bunch of scattered condos. The main lodge had an outdoor pool that looked like fun but I'm surprised there weren't any other outdoor pools or hot tubs anywhere else.

We took the shuttle back to Summit and this second trip was crazy because we had to make several stops and it took quite some time to get back. The driver seemed put off by our request to go to Summit.

Overall, we just didn't walk away from the place thinking, "Wow, that was fun!"