A lower Michigan favorite

by: loricipheran - Dec 21, 2010

Pros: Terrain, grooming, staff

Cons: limited nearby lodging

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2010

One thing is clear as soon as you arrive at Nub's: their business is snow. Too many ski areas seem to forget that - real estate developments, swanky nightclubs, and indoor waterparks become their major attractions. Not so for Nub's.

Nub's offers a variety of terrain for all abilities - long, gentle green runs connect the three sets of slopes. Mostly blue runs are found on the backside of the hill at "Pintail Peak," and the front side features more challenging slopes. Several glade runs of varying difficulty are also present, as well as a cross-country ski trail.

The snow has always been in good shape when I have been there, which is saying a lot, in a part of the country that is infamous for its icy conditions.

The lodge facilities are typical for a day-skiing area - nothing fancy, but the food and bar are decent, and the lodge has Wi-fi for people like me who can't help bragging about their awesome day to all their friends online. People who want to spend the night close by will find overnight lodging options limited, but then again, Nub's is clearly not out to compete with the nearby Boyne resorts in this regard. And to me, that's just fine. Frankly, I like Nub's because it is not a resort.

Most people I know in northern Ohio go to Holiday Valley when they want to do a weekender. Me, I usually head the other way, to Michigan. Nub's is the reason why. I have never been disappointed with my experience there.