by: Adye - 5th March 2012

Terrain
Low Maintenance

I'd been thinking about going to Bohemia for a long time. I read all the reviews and I thought to myself, "no way these people must be exaggerating or maybe they'd never been out west and didn't know about back country". Well I'm the idiot, because they were 100% right. Bohemia is just as challenging as any black diamond runs out west (albeit a lot shorter). The weekend that I went it was snowing like crazy, which is pretty typical for the Keewena peninsula. It's cold up there so the snow stays nice and fluffy. I'm not going to say it was good for Michigan, I'm going to say that it was as good of powder as I've personally ever been on anywhere (just to put it out there, I do a week out west every year and have only gotten more than 6" of snow once). It snowed 10" while I was there and 11" the day after I left. The morning that I got there was a little rough. They don't groom anything at Bohemia and it hadn't snowed in a few days, so it was quite bumpy in the morning and rough to get around on a board. I started going into the trees and there was stashes of pow all over the place. It started snowing about 10am and after about 2 hours it was softer and easier to get around in the open areas. The next day was epic. All day. Every minute. There's only two lifts at Bohemia, but they service a lot of terrain. It wasn't very busy when I was there so even towards the end of the day there were still untouched areas that you could float around on. The glade riding is awesome they've done a decent job of clearing out the woods and you can get a fair amount of speed going through them. Oh did I mention the cliff drops? I drove 8 hours to get there, it was worth it.