A Hidden Gem!

by: theexperience - Oct 11, 2011

Pros: Price, close, snow quality, beer, views, rustic feel

Cons: Slow zones, no night skiing

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2011

Ski Butternut is overall a great place! I snowboard here 40-50 times a season, and still can't get enough. Here is what I enjoy about the resort. 1. It's close to CT, and the tri-state area-- a great day trip place. 2. The area is beautiful; a variety of tall trees, and great views. 3. A great rustic feel; reminds me of the the good-old days-- a resort that offers a lot by being simple, and NOT selling-out to become a crazy commercialized; Manhattan island on a ski mountain type of resort. (Jiminy Peak, Hunter, Wachusett) are a few sell-outs that come to mind, and there's many more the farther north you go!. 4. Fantastic draft beer-- this to me this their best kept secret, mainly because they try to play themselves off as a "family mountain" so therefore it's not apparent they even sell beer, but they do, and it's delicious especially "steel rail"- I highly recommend it! I believe it's only served on draft in the smaller lodge, but trust me at $5 dollars a cup it's well worth it! 5. The price-- $25 dollars mid- week? Are you kidding me... In this day of age with resort getting away with highway robbery-- charging damn near $100 bucks a ticket is just criminal; pretty soon some of these $100 dollar resorts will need to hand out loans, just to cover the ticket price! $25 dollars a ticket leaves plenty of money for "steel rail" or whatever beverage you may enjoy. 6. Their grooming it's just fantastic for a New England resort, 9.5 out 10 I go and the snow is awesome- fast packed powder that grabs a great edge. As mentioned above, it's simple yet not to simple as to not cover the basics such as great grooming, nice trails, a great feel and awesome beer! 7. The lift lines, are typically pretty good; especially mid-week, you practically have the resort to yourself!

A couple things I would liked to see changed about the resort. 1. Where is the night skiing! I can't tell you how many times I've been disappointed that 4 pm is already here! A lot of days the snow is still fantastic right up to last lift, especially mid-week. I've entertained hiking a few times, but just haven't done it yet. 2. Ski patrol, and there slow zone enforcement, if you happen to be in a slow zone and going more than the speed of a crawl, their whistles are blowing and they will pull you over! This unfortunately has happen to me plenty of times, namely on one of my favorite trails--Nuthatch! It's a beginner trial that offers a lot! It's got a nice pitch, wide, and it always seems to have great snow on it when other trails do not! I love carving big turns on that trail! However, ski patrol seems to ruin that fun more times then not! By the way, I don't go that fast I've had other skiers pass me on Nuthatch all the time! I tell this to ski patrol every time, but they keep saying is "Well we caught you, and not them."
Otherwise, Butternut is a great resort.