by: Maz - 18th February 2009

Tremendously nice staff. Lodges and bars were nice as well.
Icy conditions

We went for a day trip on the Sunday of Presidents day weekend so we were expecting crowds and they were there. My friends renting equipment were met with nearly hour long lines to get their equipment. Like I said, this was to be expected over the long weekend so this didn’t really detract from the experience. Where I think the crowds really hurt the mountain was with contributing to the icy conditions. There wasn’t a lot of fresh snow leading up to the long weekend in the Berkshires so that combined with a ton of people created icy patches all over the mountain. Some of the black runs literally had sheets of ice 20-25 yards long that were claiming victims. The long green run (Left Bank I think its called) was turning into a mess of people slipping and crashing into one another during the busiest parts of the day. It was really unfortunate about the ice because it was a beautiful day otherwise. Jiminy Peak has to have some of the nicest staff I have ever met at a mountain. From the instructors I met on the lifts (single line is a god send on busy days) to the lift keepers, everyone was extremely nice and very helpful. One instructor came up to me after a run and offered some friendly advice that it looks like my front binding was too loose and that I was wasting energy since my boot was moving around too much. We talked about different bindings and some other things. I actually took a lift up with another instructor that was there and we continued the conversation. It was really cool that even though I wasn’t taking lessons, these guys took a moment to offer some advice and help. Two huge thumbs up for the instructors. I imagine taking lessons at Jiminy Peak would be a pleasure considering the staff I met. One last thing, the food at the lodge and one of the bars was actually good. Chili is a mainstay for all snowboarding days and it definitely receives high marks here. My girlfriend and I split a BBQ pulled pork burrito and a vegetarian chilli and both were great. After snowboarding we stopped by one of the bars at the mountain, Christians (not sure if that’s the exact name, but its close) and had a couple beers. They had a nice selection of beers including some micro brews. Some of the folks with us had the nachos which they loved so again, the food scored well. Overall, I would go back to Jiminy Peak if there was snow. The icy conditions limited the enjoyment and what we could do with our day.