by: gma - 11th April 2009

• Nightlife
Terrain For Southern New England
Elevation, Little Details

The headline on thier trail map is "Big Mountain Skiing." For someone to suggest that there is any in the Berkshires is a bit much. OK, I'm nit picking here but, its pretty much in line with thier snow report. I forget exactly what the claim was for the day I went but, it far exceeded what I found upon arrival. The available terrain consisted of one green, one blue and, one black run from the top with a couple cut-throughs here and there during Christmas week. We didn't have a great start in Southern New England this year but, with the exception of a couple hills in the wrong place at the wrong time that got demolished by ice, it wasn't impossible from a mountain management standpoint either. My home hill down in CT was 100% open by then and, I expected more open terrain at Berkshire East. I'm guessing in trying to get a feel for the place that it probably rivals Jiminy Peak for the best terrain in the area and will probably go back with knowledge of a solid snowpack to find out. I do like the meadow view of the Deerfield Valley, the river bottom not being too far from the base. However, the resulting low elevation does present the expected challenges. Infrastructure isn't snazzy but works for a day area.