by: tavislovell - 30th November 2010

fun runs, trick park
Not the Rockies, but better than nothing

2011 is my 4th year as a season pass holder. This place is fantastic for what it is. ~30 min from downtown Cincinnati, in the midwest. The terrain park is great, a good mix of snowboarders and ski's (need your own gear to enter the terrain park though). Lots of good hills for beginners, and a few hills good for the more advanced (although they make for short runs if you speed straight down them). I literally go every single weekend, and I can say that after xmas...this place usually starts getting pretty packed (crowd wise) during the weekends. Others have mentioned that in their reviews, and it's true. I've been to Paoli Peaks a few times (in Paoli Indiana), and encountered several other people who have been to both places. If you're wondering which one is better....Perfect North is the better of the two. If it gets cold enough, Perfect North is blowing snow if needed. I'm 33. On the weekends expect to see lots of families, church groups, and quite a few HS and JR High kids. I could definitely do with a few less of all the above...but that's just me. In conclusion, you can't really compare Perfect North to the Rockies. If you live in the midwest though, this place will sure tide you over until you plan that next trip to CO, and is well worth a few hours in a car. If you've never been to a real mountain...you'll have a total blast. I've never met an out of towner on the lifts that had anything but good to say about their experience. A few tips to avoid crowds on the weekend. Show up early, eat/break when crowds are heavy, so you can ski while everyone else is eating/breaking. Pay attention to which lift lines are the longest (ie you'll get a lot more runs in if you dont insist on going down the longest run every time). Crowd almost always thins out big time after 8pm. If you're ok with hitting the slopes under the lights....this is how you maximize your runs on the weekend. I've heard the weekdays are way less crowded with less kids....I've never actually been on the weekdays, so I can't say for sure...but that sounds logical.