by: Ben - 8th January 2010

Vertical
Narrow runs, terrain, price, location, night life, real estate, snowfall

I don't say this lightly. Skiing is a second thought to selling vacation homes at this resort. My proof? The resort is bankrupt, a victim of the housing crisis and speculative lending. You won't be visiting it for 2009-2010, and likely not for many years in the future, if EVER. A great article in a Montana newspaper said it best. Resorts like this one, and Moonlight Basin and the Yellowstone Club have failed, with all their new vacation homes and luxury accomidations, and yet Silverton, with great terrain, one lift, and a bus, is financially stable. Except when you compare Tamarack to Moonlight or the Yellowstone Club, you don't even get the terrain..... IF this mouontain ever opens again know this. The mountain is like one big endless series of rollers. If you like that, great. However the runs aren't steep enough for great powder skiing. Rather, they WOULD be good fast cruisers if they weren't so rolly, forcing you to slam on the brakes because so many people tend to idle around in that blind spot right below the lip. The good powder runs are short, and then lead to flat runouts that I've had to hike out of too many times. Combine that with narrowly cut runs with trees that block out the sun, and relatively poor snowfall (base below 5000' = RAIN), and you have the perfect recipe for a hill that was meant to sell real estate far more than it was meant to sell skiing. Not all things are bad however. I have had fun here, but it's just that I could have been having more fun had I gone somewhere else. I've had fun in the powder here, but it would have been deeper with better tree skiing just 20 miles north up at Brundage. I've had fun sunny days here, but I could have saved myself 4-5 hours on the road and skied at Bogus and had the same experience, and saved money. Basically, there is nothing that would continue to draw me here versus it's two closest neighbors. Add that to the fact that, if you are travelling from out of town, this hill is hard to get to. Forget air service, you are going to drive. If you want a destination in Idaho, go to Sun Valley. Easy access with regional flights, and a great town with great nightlife and other activities other than just skiing as well.