by: findlayswimmer28 - 20th December 2008

No lift lines, awesome terrain.
Kind of pricey but worth it. A lot of moguls therefore tougher for snowboarders.

I grew up skiing Sun Valley nearly every year. When I took up snowboarding a couple of years ago, we planned a trip to Sun Valley. I was a little hesitant to hit such a big "ski mountain" on a snowboard but after the first day, I was in heaven. The week we stayed was right after a huge snowstorm so every run aside from the beginner runs were covered in thigh deep powder making the more difficult runs a lot of fun to test out with fairly new snowboard skills. The runs are really long and there is a lot of opportunity to go off the trails to explore the tree lined sides. There was really no part of the mountain that was disappointing. The mountain is geared a little more towards skiers with a lot of moguls and the terrain park is not on Baldy, but we did not have any troubles keeping ourselves busy. The food at the lodges and around town was fantastic. We found a lot of great places to go hang out afterwards. One night was Lefty's which is a local dive with great bar food, gotta try their special fries, that was filled to the gills with the less wealthy locals. The next night we went to a bar on main street and enjoyed a more upper crust drinking experience, lots of cozy couches and a warm fireplace to stay warm in front of. Another night, we went to a Sun Valley Suns Hockey game which was an awesome experience. Honestly though, we were so wiped out from snowboarding in powder all day that we were in bed by 10 to get ready for the next day. We did take a day off to go to Soldier Mountain which was about 1.5 hours away. Soldier was half the price with pretty good runs but very off the beaten path. Soldier was a nice change of pace from Baldy. Quiet runs, only locals, and very relaxed. I would recommend renting a condo if you are going with a group of people or a family. A little bit less expensive than the resorts and most of the condos are close to shuttle stops that will take you in to town and to and from the mountain. We were able to stay in an exquisite home with four people for about half the price of staying at the lodge.