lackluster

by: jas33 - Mar 13, 2012

Pros: literally in town, fast lifts

Cons: bad snow, snobby people, sketchy owners

Recommended For: Family Friendly, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2010

I've been to sun valley about 3 times now, though I'm not sure why I kept going after the first visit in early march, 2009; all but groomers were barren earth, and it rained on me while skiing. I returned december of 2010, expecting there to be better conditions, but there was poor snow coverage, and, though they had recieved 8" the night before, everything had been tracked out when I got there (only 30 minutes after open!). The mountain was built at the FOOTHILLS of the mountains, and probably should have been made in mountains 5-10 miles north, where there is much more snow.

Also, I was told by relatives who live in Hailey (20 min from mountain) that a company tried to make another resort 10 miles north (where there is good snow) but sun valley's lawyers clogged the project with so much legal crap they couldn't afford to build. The foundations for the first chairs still sit there.

I have to say, however, that I have not gone to the bathroom in a fancier place in my life! The lodges are beautiful. If I didn't really care for skiing, but wanted to look fancy and waste money, I might make it my home resort.