by: Derik Olson - 15th March 2014

Location, atmosphere, views, bumps, steeps, trees
Weekend crowds

I grew up and learned to ski here. This is our family's ski destination and has been since the early 80s. After skiing almost everywhere in the state, WP remains my favorite due to the fact it's an easy drive from Denver, has incredible views, moguls, trees, and consistent snow conditions. It really is a locals favorite and might not be the best for out of state vacationers since the town doesn't cater to tourists. It's a fun place to stay overnight, but people who stay for longer might want a more resort- like atmosphere found in Steamboat, Vail, Breckinridge, or Telluride. I say this in-part due to the fact I don't want to ski somewhere with a lot of out of state novice skiers who get in my way! WP is really for the hard-core who want challenging terrain and to be surrounded by others who want the same. For these types, stay on the Mary Jane side where the terrain is awesome, steep, has great trees, views, and shorter lift lines! I plan to renew my pass next year as I have for the last decade!