Pushing or bumps, take your pick. Snowboarders beware.

by: shralper - Dec 29, 2012

Pros: Good vacation package deals

Cons: Flat trails, bumps, crowds, overall layout of lifts

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2012

I took my family to WP mainly due to the package deals available. It's one of the few places I could find that actually still gives decent lift ticket discounts with lodging. And, yes, I knew from the beginning that WP/MJ was a skier's mountain but figured that with over 3,000 acres, there would still be plenty of runs and parks to keep us snowboarders entertained. I was wrong.

First of all, I've never ridden a mountain with such endless expanses of flat terrain. Nearly all the green runs and many of the blues require pushing at some point. Many of these trails should honestly be labeled as cross country trails. And you pretty much have to either push to or from nearly every single lift, no matter where you are. We spent the first day just figuring out (the hard way) which areas to avoid...and there's a lot. No mountain should ever have this much flat terrain. Tip: Avoid the Pioneer lift at all costs, as the bottom green trail to the lift has at least 3 football fields of flat. Even though there are some fun tree trails up above it, it's just not worth it. Even skiers struggle with it; but it's hell-on-earth for snowboarders. Also, many of the runs off the Olympia lift require pushing.
The second day we knew to avoid all green runs and even many of the blues, but keep in mind, due to the layout of the mountain, even this can be a challenge. We tried to focus on black runs only, which lead to our next problem-- Bumps. They're everywhere.

Bumps (AKA moguls) are created by skiers doing quick, short, slalom turns by quickly twisting at the waist. No snowboarder rides this way, or even desires to ride like this, so (most) snowboarders hate bumps. We have no use for them. Yet since this mountain prides itself on bumps, it only grooms a couple black runs on the ENTIRE mountain (actually when we were there, not even the normally-groomed Sleeper was groomed. Hughes was the only groomed black trail).

So there you have it, snowboarders. Pushing or bumps, take your pick. Otherwise, you can pretty much just ride Hughes, Mary Jane (trail), or Cramner all day long (like we ended up doing).

As far as parks go, only 3 parks were open by Xmas day. 2 of them were *tiny* beginner parks that you would miss if you blinked. The one medium-sized park had a few rails and boxes, but nothing I would want to spend the day lapping.

Also note, the Parsenn bowl wasn't open yet (which just happened to be the one area I was really counting on being open). However, after speaking with a local, according to him, even the area at the summit has a whole lot of pushing required :(