by: anonymous_user - 23rd March 2008

I ride all over colorado and anyone that doesn't like vail probably does not know the mountain. Advanced riders and skiiers need to understand that because vail is a huge tourist destination that they cannot make potentially dangerous backcountry terrain obvious/easy for those who do not know the mountain to find. This is for good reason - any backcountry gate at vail requires some level of knowledge of the terrain in order to safely come back in bounds and to choose safe and smart routes and avoid 'cliffing out'. I have ridden vail about 70 days this year and I can honestly say it is my favorite mountain because I know where to find stash after stash for days after a storm. While vail can be expensive, if you have a season pass and some knowledge of the area keeping things affordable is possible. My only complaint about vail is that there is a pretty large amount of beginner skiiers during high volume tourist times which makes the frontside a nightmare to ride with gapers crashing left and right - additionally I don't like it when they groom parts blue sky...if you can only ski groomers than you probably shouldn't be all the way out there anyway...that area should be exclusively left to more advanced riders. All in all though I give vail a 5 in every category except for their terrain park which could have more features considering the size of the resort....although the jumps this year aren't too shabby!