by: anonymous_user - 14th March 2007

Be aware that the base elevation for Vail is above 8,000 feet. Many people experience problems with the altitude. For some the problem can start as early as the Eisenhower Tunnel, and for some even at the Denver airport. If you are travelling with your family or a small group, chances are one of more of your group will experience problems with the altitude. I was not too seriously affected, but found that it took three days of my week vacation. following the recommendations, to get used to the altitude. The recommnedations are no alcohol, no coffee, and drink loads of water. I found that for the first three days, I had no appetite and had to force down food. The terrific restaurants were worthless to me, when I had to force down a light salad. All the bars were worthless to me when I found that I had to avoid alcohol and coffee all week. I also had to drink endless amounts of water. The first day I could only ski three hours, and then felt lucky just to make it back to the Hotel without collapsing. That after stopping at the mountain top Two Elks lodge for lunch. After that I learned to have lunch at the mid-Vail lodge, and to avoid lingering on the upper mountain. Fortunately, for me, everything was better at the end of the week, so my vacation was not completely ruined. Anyone travelling to Vail from low altitude should be aware that they risk a vacation ruined by altitude sickness.