by: anonymous - 1st February 2014

Huge, accessible mountain. the back bowls in powder
none

I confess I didn't want to go to Vail as a family. I was conscious of the 'glamour' reputation and didn't want a holiday at expensive restaurants and feeling like our gear and jackets were not up to standard. But we discovered was a real skiers' mountain. An amazing place. Vast, but all incredibly accessible. We could not possibly get bored in he three weeks we had there. (And went back again from Australia 2 years later.) For the kids the ski school was outstanding - the best organised and most professional of the resorts we've been to. The instructors, patrollers and mountain staff all very friendly. The village is right at the bottom of the mountain and is beautiful. For an older family it is is great for teenagers and older kids who can go ice skating and go the the movies - ifind things to do independently without having to catch a bus anywhere. We mostly self catered, which keeps costs down for a family of six. But to be honest, the mountain ( whether it's the bowls, the long pistes, the great bumps) is truly epic. Vail can truly claim to be like nothing on earth.