by: Chris M - 18th January 2014

Back Bowls, Endless powder.
The crowd here can be pretentious and nuvo riche.

Ok, the Apres is world class. But you also pay world class prices. Vail Underground is more my price range, hard to find but great drinks. Now to the riding! We got an average of 4 inches of fresh powder every day we were there totals were above 4 ft for the week! We went just after Christmas/NYE rush and there were zero, zip, zilch-- NO LINES! Takes a little while to get over to the back bowls, but when you do you won't leave. I didn't leave. I just kept riding the Back Bowls all day long until they closed at 3p.m. My only regret is that I didn't lift weights more and run more prior to going so I couldn't pull an 7+ hour days of snowboarding, I was too weak. But I got 4-5 hour days in with about 25,000 ft of vertical per day. It is what everyone says it is: simply THE BEST. Everything is expensive there, but we found a cheapish parking system that involves moving the car once or twice. Having some nuvo riche jacka$$ talk my ear off about his life changing investment was kinda sour. Whatever, it is what it is. I was there for the terrain and powder anyway, both of which I got more than I bargained for! Excellent. Pure heaven on earth. If you're a beginner you can save a ton of money by going anywhere else. It's almost a sin to go to Vail and not ride the Basin or the Bowls. That said, it looks like there are plenty of greens on the frontside, not that it matters much to me. Three words: GO TO VAIL!