Vail Review

by: shamusx1 - Jan 14, 2008

Date Visited: Jan 14, 2008

I just moved to Denver in September, and got a 5 mountain pass. This weekend was the 1st one where I decided to drive a little further down I-70 to Vail. It was worth the trip. Yes Vail gets has all sorts of reputations, and I'm sure it's all well deserved, but I'm also sure, like everything else in life, it depends on the day. We went on a Friday, so we missed the full brunt of the weekend traffic. The conditions were UNBELIEVABLE. I'm used to skiing on the east coast, so the days where you have powder up to your THIGHS are far and few between...This was one of those days. Also as far as expenses go, besides the $20 parking, which sux, the rest of the mountain was reasonable. Bear in mind I'm not one of those people that have to stop for lunch, and like to buy crap on the mountain...I'm there to ski. We got a late start, so we skipped breakfast on the way up, but got a breakfast burrito from Joe's Deli on the way to the lifts. It was like $7.50, but was a nice size burrito, and did us good for the day. After a full day of going up and down the mountain (short lines on the day), we Apre-Skied at Georges' pub (Happy hour from 3-7...$3.50 for ANY drink...close to the lots). The bowls were absolutely insane. Not as challenging as some of the other stuff I've done, and the runs aren't as long as other places like Keystone and Breck, but then again it takes a lot of work to ski through 1-2 feet of snow :-). All in all it was a killer day...guessing we had good timing.