by: eriwilnel - 17th January 2013

Tree Powder Runs
No Complaints

I went to Steamboat with my Wife and our 6 and 8 yr old sons. This was my sons first ski experience. Needless to say they had to go to ski school. The first morning we walked the boys to ski school and me and my wife headed up to thunderhead. So lucky for us that steamboat had received over a foot of fresh snow the last 2 days prior to our visit. All I can say is the conditions were perfect. My wife and I are both avid skiers and Steamboat had everything to offer, from nice grooms, to expert terrain and the best tree skiing we have ever experienced. Lift Lines were not long at all. We headed to get the boys from school that afternoon and got to catch the end of their training. There was so much hands on teaching from these young instructors who clearly loved children and enjoyed their job. They had my two boys carving down the west side bunny. Felt confident enough that I took them up to Tomahawk run. THey did very well considering the amount of teaching they had. The boys skied great thanks to all the instructors. My youngest got bit by a dog that was at the base by the gondola. It was just a nip and the people all but called an ambulance to treat him. THe dog was a regular that accompanied a handicap skier. The dog had a sign on him that said do not pet I bite. I felt responsible for taking my attention off of my son and he ignored the sign and tried to pet him. Overall we had a great experience, If I could complain about anything it would be the local drivers who love honking their friggin horn at a family from Texas who cannot drive in winter conditions worth a crap. LOL I got some pretty bad looks as they sped by me like they were on a perfect road. But thats really for all northerners they dont like to get behind me because I am really slow going down a steep mountain road with a sheet of ice on it. In closing Steamboat was great, suprisingly affordable, and offers some terrific skiing.