by: isaac reule - 4th March 2009

Has a lot of potential to be very good.
Currently, management does not know how to realize that potential

Powfinder is right on with his reviews, and anonymous user needs to get a clue. Most groups that were on the mountain the two days I was there only got 3 or 4 runs in each day. Thats only 6000 to 8000 vertical feet. lame. I could easily hike that much terrain in one day to better snow and no regulation. A lot of the runs we hiked an hour to get to were all wind blown and skied out. With maybe 100 to 200 vert. feet of good snow on each run. There was better snow in the trees and the whole group voiced their opinion that we wanted to hit it, but the guide wouldn't let us go anywhere he couldn't see all of us at one time. He treated us all like it was our first time on a mountain and yelled at people frequently for going the least bit out of the area he told us to ride. My guide hadn't even rode anywhere besides colorado, but thought he knew everything. Having rode in valdez, haines, utah, jackson hole, b.c., I wouldn't consider the avalanche danger at silverton anywhere near as dangerous as they make it out to be. They need to realize that their are many skiers and riders that are willing to risk avalanche danger for good riding. I thought silverton was going to be a good backcountry experience not a safety course. If I wanted to be safe all day I would ride at keystone or breckenridge.