I Had a Great Time

by: runner/skier - Feb 25, 2010

Pros: Great Snow, Awesome Scenery, Super Challenge, Fun!

Cons: It's Not For Everyone

Recommended For: Singles, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2010

I can only speak for myself, but I will tell you that I had a great time at Silverton. Our group of 8 was relatively uniform in ability and our guide, (Adam), made a real effort meet the needs of the skiers in the group. The skiing was challenging and a lot of fun. We got 4 runs in and that was plenty for me. (Five might have been better, but 4 was good enough.)

I live at sea level in the East and was glad that we skied Silverton on the last ski day of my Western trip rather than the first. As a runner, I think of myself as fit, but would have really been suffering if I had tried to do much climbing on day one. I do not have much back country experience, so I did not come to Silverton with expectations that it would be anything other than the fun trip that it was. I would return to Silverton in a heartbeat and hope that I can have as good a time on the next trip as I did on this one.

The funky low-tech "base lodge" and "ski rental building" added to the no-frills ambience of this place. Staying overnight in Silverton in the winter is also part of the "cultural experience" that is a trip to Silverton Mountain. I had a great time!