by: Scott - 10th January 2009

Close to Denver, lots of terrain, excellent downhill, "in-bounds backcountry", 100% renewable energy
Probably crowded on weekends

I recently moved to Denver, and when I went to Copper Mountain for the first time recently, I loved it! The mountain is huge, with lots of terrain. The terrain is naturally divided, separating the beginner, intermediate and advanced skiers/boarders to some extent. Even the close to the bottom blues had plenty of tree areas in which one could find fresh powder and tight turning if so desired. The upper-mountain blacks had some challenging terrain, and there were always non-mogul options for boarders and others who don't like the bumps (unlike at winter park). The backside has lots of expert-level terrain as well and I'm sure it would be fantastic on a powder day. I am intrigued by the free snow-cat access to the "in-bounds backcountry," though I didn't get a chance to sample it on my day out. I didn't get a chance to sample the terrain parks, but they have a few! The parking/bus/village system is very nicely set up, making it easy to get around off the mountain. I didn't spend any time in the village, so I can't really speak to the nightlife, but it looked like there were lots of options. It was on a weekday, so I can't speak to the crowds on the weekend, but since it's just off I70, they're probably pretty fierce. The fact that the resort purchases wind energy credits for 100% of their power use only makes it that much better! I have several more resorts to sample in the area, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Copper Mountain will be my new home!