Copper Mountain Resort Review

by: sarakyong - Jan 29, 2008

Date Visited: Jan 29, 2008

Copper is most known for its split terrain. On the far right side of the mountain is pretty much all green trails for beginners with very open groomed trails and the ski school. Great for family to stick together and not worry about getting off on the wrong trail. The center of the mountain is mainly the blue trails and the far left with the black trails. Basically, you know which base to go to and just stick around that area depending on your difficulty level. If you're really a beginner, be careful about going to the Center Village for the first time. The very bottom of the hill is the steepest (blue terrain - though they are the ends of green trails) and all my first-timer friends have gotten scared when coming upon it.

The base lifts can get pretty crowded so we get our runs in early and then stick to the lifts higher up on the mountain. Last time I went, I decided to try the back side and was pleasantly surprised to see how empty it was. I'm an intermediate skier and wanted to try the one blue run back there which was more like a green because it's really a road in the summer. All around are blacks however, probably why they rated the road blue. I got to dabble on the black trails for the first time, a few trails weren't as bad as I was expecting, but most are heavy with moguls. We had to call ski patrol they came within a matter of minutes and professionally took my husband down the mountain safely to further assess his pain.

The lodges at the bottom can get very crowded at lunch time. There are grills higher up the mountain if the day is nice enough to sit outside and eat. Otherwise, the Center Village has many other restaurants however that aren't too crowded, including pizza, chinese, and a Starbucks.

For the past 5 years, my family has gotten the 4-pass at Copper which really saves you some money, though the price has risen.