by: jfoldno7 - 21st February 2009

Family Friendly, Not too crowded
Expensive, Lack of Expert Terrain, Silly Mountain Employees

My trip to Beaver Creek happened because of the "family" environment I had heard about. My wife and kids love to ski as well so we thought this would be a great trip. The kid's programs and general family atmosphere lived up to the hype, but I was sorely dissappointed in much of the rest of the mountain. We went on a week in Feb. when most don't have off from jobs or school so crowds were a non-factor. But the lack of expert terrain was really a letdown. I found some decent steeps (Golden Eagle is great) but Beaver Creek was far behind the varied advanced terrain I have grown to expect from western ski resorts. So after knocking off most of the double blacks in just two days, of my six day trip, I was greeted to a mountain employee giving a warning to my son for "going too fast" on a wide open cruiser. I understand these type of warnings in beginner areas or when the trails are crowded but when my son and I are skiing alone on a trail with just about no one else on it I found this warning to be inappropriate and silly. Overall the trip to Beaver Creek was a good family trip but I was hoping for a little bit more.