Not What I Expected

by: jfoldno7 - Feb 21, 2009

Pros: Family Friendly, Not too crowded

Cons: Expensive, Lack of Expert Terrain, Silly Mountain Employees

Recommended For: Family Friendly, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2007

My trip to Beaver Creek happened because of the "family" environment I had heard about. My wife and kids love to ski as well so we thought this would be a great trip. The kid's programs and general family atmosphere lived up to the hype, but I was sorely dissappointed in much of the rest of the mountain. We went on a week in Feb. when most don't have off from jobs or school so crowds were a non-factor. But the lack of expert terrain was really a letdown. I found some decent steeps (Golden Eagle is great) but Beaver Creek was far behind the varied advanced terrain I have grown to expect from western ski resorts.

So after knocking off most of the double blacks in just two days, of my six day trip, I was greeted to a mountain employee giving a warning to my son for "going too fast" on a wide open cruiser. I understand these type of warnings in beginner areas or when the trails are crowded but when my son and I are skiing alone on a trail with just about no one else on it I found this warning to be inappropriate and silly.

Overall the trip to Beaver Creek was a good family trip but I was hoping for a little bit more.