Beaver Creek Review

by: anonymous_user - Jul 4, 2008

Date Visited: Jul 4, 2008

I'm an advanced level skiier and have been skiied BC many times over the past couple of years. This is one of my favorite resorts in North America. Here are some of my thoughts...

1). Terrain-I've always felt that BC has thge most challenging Lift-served terrain in the Vail Valley. Both Grouse Mountain & the Birds of Prey lifts offer steeper and more narrow trails than anything that you'd find up the road in Vail. The Golden Eagle Downhill course is an exceptional run, especially if it has some fresh snow on it. The Grouse mountain lift offers just about everything but an easy way down. An advanced/expert skiier will find everything here from Bumps, Steeps and some tight glades (ie. Royal Elk) as well. BC also offers up a lot of intermediate terrain (ie. Groomers) but I have always found them to be longer, steeper and less crowded than what you'd find at Vail. In short, I've always felt that BC has gotten an undeserved reputation as a Country Club mountain. I've skiied all over the West and have been to all of the "name" resorts-the expert terrain at BC more than holds it's own.

Lifts-Much like Vail, everything is High Speed, except for the Rose Bowl lift. I've always favored this because, being from the East, I like to get as much skiing in as I can when visiting. Some hate it, since it can overcrowd the trails.

Crowds-Always seems less crowded than Vail. The only time that I've ever seen a liftline was during the Holiday season. Recently, they've opened a Gondola connecting the mountain to Avon, Colorado. I hope this doesn't make BC into another overcrowded, I-70 zoo. Guess, we'll have to wait and see.

On-mountain facilities-Fancy and pricey, just like everything else in the Vail Valley. I've eaten several times in the on-mountain Spruce Saddle, usually only a Hot Chocolate and a Cookie. I've never eaten anything bad there but nothing very memorable either.

Village-Usually, we stay up in Vail when visiting. I have stayed at BC once (ie. Charter)and found it to be pretty dead. I thought that the Blue Moose Pizza restaurant was pretty good (and affordable for the Vail valley). I also liked the Breakfast Buffet at the Hyatt-but it was expensive. There is a free bus that runs from BC to Avon. There you'll find some more restaurants and bars. However, for any real nightlife you have to take the Bus to Vail and at $6.00 each way, the ride can be pricey.

Overall-I've always liked BC and still do. I'd recommend it to any skiier, expert to novice.