by: anhillx - 1st November 2006

Where all the hot skiers hang out. If you're spinning KT-22 and a couple locals grab a chair with you, you've been accepted into the tribe. Squaw has got the terrain and skiers to walk (ski) the talk. I'm just getting to know Squaw and it's going to be a long-term relationship. When I first get there, I follow the duct taped shredders over to Shirley to pick-up any fresh lines and/or missed stashes. Then, work toward Siberia to see how the Palasades have set from the evening chill. Next, Headwall to get some nice big carvey turns down the shoulders. Lastly, KT-22/Olympic to play in the alternate chutes and bowls. I've played a little in the trees of Squaw Creek, but have mostly left it to the boarders. They deserve a special place like anyone. You can get alot of skiing in on this hill. It spreads the crowds out and gives you something to really step up your game. Great breakfast/lunch joints at the base, but the resort also has it's share of high school cafeteria style eating (for the quick take on the chair bite). Nice bar life afterwards with a energetic crowd. The new village adds some class with retail like the Wine/Cigar store. But at present if I want a good meal I'll go to Tahoe City. I normally do a 3 day weekend in Tahoe with Squaw always being on the circuit. If the snow is right, it might even be the only destination for the trip.