by: KalaniSurf - 21st January 2010

Family-centric, good variety of beginner runs, friendly & helpful staff
Long lift-lines, Crowds & theft issues

Summit is a family oriented resort, the mountain terrain is average but I like the variety and length of runs for beginners. Summit Run & Miracle Mile are both wonderful if u want a longer ride with your small kids. I was able to ride w/ my five yr-old without fearing speed demons or reckless jumpers since the staff routinely conduct speed checks & mid-run gates keep folks in slow control - thus rest assured they are cognizant of safety. Parking is a challenge, but the shuttle system will pick u up even if you're a few blocks away, at the end of the day the same shuttle is a welcome blessing. The ticket policy is flexible, since if you don't like conditions within the first hour - u can get a future voucher, but I'd like to see them adopt the Mt. High (debit) points system as an alternative or option to a full day pass. Our kids tire easily & often like to take breaks between runs, so a points ticket would alleviate the time pressure for parents. Food is expensive, but not as expensive as eating at a movie - there are ample picnic tables & few outdoor bars. Summit offers SoCal’s first original halfpipe & some great jibs but the mountain pales in comparison to the features of say, Mammoth or the Nintendo Park @ Blackcomb. I'm originally from Vancouver (Whistler) so please understand that this SoCal mtn "is what it is", don't expect a CO, BC or UT experience. Those people who complain about snow quality & ice have unreasonable expectations, the fact is, when it snows at Summit, it’s a whole lotta fun! We have a mixed family of skiers/riders and unlike the skate-rat scene at Bear, the Summit side seems to be more skier-friendly (but not to the extent of snobby Deer Valley). Traffic at the end of the day is a drag so be patient-the journey is long, slow & curvy, not the ez gradual drive (like Wrightwood). Also, bring a lock 4 your gear --they post warning signs, so evidently they have a theft problem. When I head up by myself I usually hit Bear because of the snowboarder-centric jibes & terrain park, but if you plan on going up with the whole family (particularly with young children, who prefer to ski) then, I think the better option might be Snow Summit.