Ok but not great

by: EastCoastChris - Mar 6, 2013

Pros: Nice full scale resort

Cons: Customer service isn't great, very expensive

Recommended For: Singles, Family Friendly

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2013

Northstar is a full scale Vail owned resort...and its very high end. If thats your thing you'll love this place. I came to board here after not touching a board in just over a decade. I used to board A LOT back east in high school and in college (grew up at a "resort") so I decided to get back on the bull while in the Bay Area for a few months.
I made the rental reservation online and gave my height, weight, boarder type. After so many years I was just looking for long and laid back groomers and cruisers. I was at the doors 10 min before the rental shop opened so it wasnt busy. The guys there set me up with a baby poo soft 138 cheapo jibber though I requested 148 or 150 (I used to ride a 152 all mountain.) I also asked for +3, 0 setup and the guy basically made me go out at +6,-6 as thats what they give to "new riders." I took his word for it at first but just adjusted them after 2 runs with my knee feeling uncomfortable. It was just so wierd when he refused to do it. I'm just glad they were Burton 3ds and I didnt need a tool.
The rental was $42/day and lift ticket was $95 plus $4 service fee. Thats a lot of money to spend when you are on the type of board you totally didnt want.
If I go again I will rent at a local shop and pick up a better package for the weekend. I would suggest doing that if you are anywhere you can get easy access to the rental board you want.
Other than that the mountain is nice but not blow your mind good. I didnt get to the BackSide though and that looked less crowded. Otherwise there's lots of kids on a weekend.
I also disliked the long flats that preceeded some of the recently groomed trails. It seemed like the start of many cruisers on the map was a 3-5 minute skate.
Maybe its a west coast thing but they only seemed to do overnight grooming on a fraction of the runs.
Most of the runs I did were fun though...I loved the little glade areas off blues. The lift lines were very reasonable and all that I rode were fast and in good working order.
I loved the gas fireplaces at the mid mountain lodge as it was very wet that day and I was glad to have an easy place to dry my mitten liners.
I'm not 100% sure I'll go back. I would to get to know a mountain while I'm here but there wasnt that certain "wow" to justify the price. If you love amenities that shine for a couples weekend on retreat then I would say go here . But for snow, lifts and boarding...I may try SugarBowl which is $20/day cheaper.