Newbies had a good time!!

by: pokerdawg - Feb 15, 2010

Pros: Lots of facilities, Friendly Staff, Convenient

Cons: Cost?

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2010

I tried to snowboard 9 years ago. My wife and son have never done it before. We went to Mt. High on Feb 13, 2010, a holiday weekend. West parking, closest to the school, filled by 8AM so we parked at the east lot. The shuttle was very convenient to make it back to the west park. We dropped off our son at the full day kids class. The staff at the kids schools was big enough handle all the volume. The trainers were experienced and friendly to my 5 years old boy. At one point my son started to cry and they called me up. By the time we got to he school, he regained his confidence. The 5 hours my son was in class allowed my wife and I to take our own class. By the end of the day my son was confidently going down the bunny slopes. I intend to send my son back to their school for more. Costs include lift pass, rentals, lunch, snacks, and training.

My wife and I took a beginners class for 1.75 hours. Nathan was a good teacher and gave relevant tips. They break the classes up to your skill level and have plenty of teachers. We were in a class of only 6 people with many other groups being taught. The cost include rentals and lift passes for the easy lifts. We weren't ready for the others lifts anyway. We intent to take the advanced class next.

I just read that at Mt Baldy you have to take a lift back to your car if you can't ski back down on the advance slope. At Mt High, the parking lot is just a walk to the initial lift for beginners and intermediate. We went back to our car for lunch and saved money that way. This is a huge plus for my family. There are plenty of lockers. We rented everything and bought passes at the academy. We were allowed to return it at a different location closer to the parking.

Driving there was easy from the San Fernando Valley. It was wasn't even a crazy winding road like going to Big Bear.

I have some minor negatives to mention. The lady at the academy cashier wasn't that friendly. She made my newbie questions seem ridiculous. Everyone else was great! I also felt they closed the other 'people mover' near the academy earlier than they had to. These are minor as you can see.

We've been told that this place is a bit pricey but it's worth it. Plus there are so many ways to get coupons from retail outlets.

We are going back in a couple weeks. Thanks Mt. High!!!!!!