by: snwbrdr1977 - 25th January 2010

Lots of snow and great terrain
Management of the mountain and complete lack of preparation for a big snow day

We left Burbank on Saturday morning at 3:00am to get to Mammoth right at 8:00am so that we could get fresh tracks on chair 9 as I do every year right after a big storm. We arrived on time to a resort that I no longer recognize. This is a resort that charged $87 per person and then somehow wasn't prepared for the 100" of snow they got last week? They didn't even start opening anything that I would consider paying $87 for until 12:30pm. Now, I do understand that sometimes the weather can be a lot to catch up with, yet I have the Mammoth "Dump Report" email (which I got Saturday at 9am as I was standing in an enormous line with none of the terrain I was looking forward to partaking in open) stating "snow conditions couldn't be better filled with epic skiing and riding...storms have moved out, leaving behind plenty of fresh snow and those famous blue skies!" That would have been true had they actually opened the upper 2/3's of the resort. Sunday had more wind and worse weather than Saturday and yet somehow magically the rest of the resort (including the top) was open... Sunday WAS an epic day, but Saturday was complete crap, only due to the extremely obvious poor management of the mountain. I will be driving past Mammoth in two weeks and heading up to Lake Tahoe due to the amount of hype, versus what was actually available... I do not understand how a resort is not legally responsible for refunds (at least only charging for a half day), when the reasons for the upper 3rd of the mountain being closed are not due to weather, just being unprepared...