by: Robert Turner - 3rd January 2009

Staff at the resort were nice
Everything off mountain was lacking

Maybe it was due to the fact that our trip was over a holiday weekend, but after spending 8 days in Mammoth, I found the experience rather disappointing. Staff on the mountain were nice, and despite the crowds, lift lines were reasonable at all but a couple of the lifts. Rode several lifts all day long without waiting in line at all. Nice mix of terrain for all skill levels. Off the mountain, however, I felt like a nuisance, as opposed to a customer. Do NOT go to Lakanuki!! Unless you are an old woman looking to score on a busboy, you won't get any service at all. I sat at a table with my teenage son, and 3 daughters, and in almost an hour, did not so much as get a glass of water, or even asked if we had been helped. Despite the fact that there were plenty of staff flirting and constantly appearing to look for work to do, (or perhaps just checking out "the scene"), we got ZERO service! Even when I asked someone who our server was, he said "I don't know" and ran off. He proceeded to "check out the scene" several times, walking past us, and flirting with the 2 women seated next to us, before we finally got up and left. Went to a couple of other places, and while the experience was not nearly as bad as the AWFUL LAKANUKI, not really anything to write home about either. People were generally just not very nice. Not overtly rude, (except while driving maybe), but just not what I would call nice. Spent a week in Vail earlier in the month, and EVERYONE we met there was super nice. All the way from the people in DIA, right up to the mountain. Staff & guests alike. I would drive the extra 10 hours to get my family of 7 there than go back to Mammoth.