by: anonymous_user - 29th April 2007

I felt compelled to write a response after reading some of the blantantly prejudiced and biased comments made by a few individuals. I am a snowboader, but I am also a college educated professional, a K-12 teacher. I have always taught my students to respect and look for understanding in a diverse society. Yet, I am INSULTED to be described as neanderthal simply because I ride a snowboard. I have taken lessons, practiced, and honed my skills on the mountain to be safe rider. My mountain friends, skiers and snowboarders, all have a good time and get along well. I also chat with many friendly skiers and snowboarders on the lifts. It is not about skiing ettiquette; it is about showing respect in every aspect of our lives. If the person is a jerk on the slopes then they are often a jerk in life. They deserve serious consequences. However, the insulting comments about all snowboarders is an unfair generalization. Any biased and prejudicial commments, toward skiers or snowboarders or with anyone whom we disagree, are offensive. With that soapbox speech over, Mammoth is one of the U.S.'s greatest ski areas. All skiers and snowboarders need to add it to their list of places to go.