Mammoth Mountain Ski Area Review

by: anonymous_user - Feb 14, 2007

Date Visited: Feb 14, 2007

My family was at Mammoth over Christmas this year-first time for us. Most impressed with the fact that we came from the east coast and everyone we met was from the west coast. Always have heard/read about the mountain, and after being there a week, through mediocre snow then a dump, I can say this is a VERY large mountain with potentially Very big terrain to ski-if it's open(some areas need a lot of snow) and the wind cooperates. Groomers were nice and the size of the mountain and steepness of some areas allow for a lot of ungroomed terrain. Loved the trip and the town is hopping! You can ski your butt off and/or party to your hearts content. Size has great benefits-you CAN avoid the crowds if you 1.have the ability to ski varied terrain and 2. move around the mountain to find those uncrowded lifts-which DO always exist. As to the naysayers regarding boarding-I too, ski exclusively, and do not love the "sharing the mountain" concept-yet I think we all have to learn to live with the situation-some ski ettiquite lessons for the boarders might help.