by: powlo - 17th March 2008

Skier for 10 years, snowboarder fo the past 4 I love Kirk, but I must be unlucky. 3 weekends ago the wind was blowing at 190 MPH on the wall,(the highest chairlift) so they opened only 2 lifts,(5 and 11) for about 8 different runs. Last sunday was supposed to be the "perfect day"... powder all night, good weather. I got there by 8:30 geared up and realized that the lifts were not moving. Out of power for an accident. Damn! They handled the problem pretty quickly, giving out $35 tickets (instead of 72) for cash to the people in line, by 10:40 I was on the lift and didn't stop until 4 PM. And the ticket is valid for any other day until the 27 of April that is not bad at all. Once again they opened only chair 6, 11 and 1, I don't know why, since the wind seemed gusty but totally manageable, at least on some of the closed lifts. Other than that, Kirk is great for the quality of the snow, the variety of the runs, the huge and accessible off-piste, friendly atmosphere, a bit more on the expert-level, and for the drive. The park is not really big, apart the 3 huge jumps, but I seldom ride the park preferring long fast carving, woods runs or the occasional gully. The crowds are never overwhelming and the lift lines quick enough. Plenty of fun for all skills/ages *WHEN* it's all open. Sunday I spent my day basically on 4 runs..and I still I loved it..the quality of the powder is second to none.