by: anonymous_user - 4th April 2008

My trip to Heavenly was interesting - we went week of March 17th, 2008. Just for disclosure, I have been to many resorts in Colorado and all of New Mexico. This was my first Sierras adventure. But I was unhappy with most of the skiing experience. I agree with recent reviewers - what a haphazard place. We ventured to the Gondola and California base - both offer two terrible experiences at the end of the day. First the Gondola - imagine, end of the day fatigue when all you want to do is take off ski boots and have a beer. Nooooo - you have to wait in an enormous line, holding skis (and your kids most likely), inch up a huge flight of steps that takes at least 20-30 minutes. I mean it is brutal. Horrible experience. OK next day, let's go to the California base. The only way down that we could figure out studying the marvelous map was either Black Diamond runs (with kids mind you) or a monstrous cat walk that had to be 2 miles or more long. Again, fatigue at the end of day - all you want is a quick way down and take off those boots and have a GD Beer. Is that too much to ask for???? Crowded, slow, braking to avoid collisions - another total nightmare down the frieking mountain. Someone told us the next day to take some lift (down). Is it just me or is this crazy? The website sucks too - not clear at all where the ski schools are or how to get there. And how much are those lift tickets??? The wind sucks too - beautiful blue skies and the wind nearly knocks you off the top. Blows all the snow off some areas and leave raw ice below! Views were great and people were also very friendly. The Boarders - not so much. I loved the skiing - very nice for us Blue skiers - but nearly got trampled several times - that never happens to me but it did here. Liked our accomodations fine - Lakeland Village - great shuttled offered by the resort and free breakfast. I promise, I am not a cranky whiney spoiled skiier. I just want a normal set up with a nice quick way down to get a beer!!