by: anonymous_user - 24th March 2008

A REAL review from a realistic skier: I'm submitting this review in disgust after reading a 'glowing' review from some East coast ding-dong who doesn't ski much. He loved Heavenly, but only because he admittedly hasn't skied the West and is obviously the type who would marry the first girl he met. So here's the real deal...Heavenly is horrible and it BLOWS!!! Both literally and figuratively. If Heavenly were a house, it would be the Winchester Mystery mansion of ski resorts. A monstrous property on a great lot that has been remodeled many times without any sort of master plan. I am an old school two-planker and I normally don't have much sympathy for boarders, but I do at Heavenly and I wouldn't go if my clients didn't always offer me free lift tickets. There is more uphill traversing and cat tracking than skiable runs, and whom ever designs the run and lift placements needs a lobotomy. A real shame as to be fair, Heavenly has great terrain potential and the views are nothing short of spectacular. Unfortunately, potential is not a run and views don't make good skiing. Going back to the real estate analogy, keep the property but Heavenly is in need of a complete tear down and remodel with coordinated lift and trail systems. I don't have experience with kids or terrain parks so I didn't rate them, but I do with nightlife and alpine terrain. As poor as the terrain is, the apres' ski scene is large and such is the only reason to frequent Heavenly. Assuming you want to weight them equally, averaging a 1 for terrain and a 5 for nightlife therefore earns Heavenly a 3. For those who like lists and to play fair: Heavenly Pros: Very good snow making and grooming capacity Nightlife Mountain views and vistas The new Gondola and Gondola village They are good at marketing themselves and making a turd shine Heavenly Cons: The terrain Veeeeeeery expensive (Lifts $81.00, bag lockers $6.00, etc.) The terrain Dangerously crowded with lots of no skillz guests The terrain Exposure to storms and wind closures If you have access to a lot of dynamite and money, please buy Heavenly Valley and go to town. Otherwise, stay clear and go to Kirkwood or any of the North Lake resorts:)