by: Craig - 22nd March 2010

Snow Quality, Excellent Views
Horrible Catwalks, Average Terrain, Overpriced

This was my first time at Heavenly and I must say, I was a little disappointed. Arrived in Tahoe about 2 days after a storm reportedly dropped 2-2.5ft of snow. Lies I tell you! While you could tell that they did have plenty of snow to go around, they maybe got 6-8 inches. I will say that the snow quality was excellent for the whole weekend. Very soft and dry. So that's there's the background info, on with the review! The first thing I noticed was that the runs are pretty short compared to most places I've skied (Colorado). And most of what was on the Nevada side was blue. We found a few blacks here and there but honestly, they were blues that had one or two trees in the middle of the run. We spent most of the weekend over on the California side, where the runs were a bit longer. I would like to be able to say the tree skiing that Heavenly is so well known for was amazing, but they really didn't have enough snow to do it. Also, I didn't think the terrain was quite steep enough to call it great. We really enjoyed the Pinnacles, when it finally opened, and the bumps on Waterfall were top notch! We also spent a good amount of time on the Comet Lift skiing Little Dipper, also good bumps! I can't comment on Mott and Killbrew Canyons because my Dad wasn't up to the task to ski there but I think if I were to go back I would definitely drop in there since it looked nice and steep! By far the biggest grudge I will hold with Heavenly is their awful awful catwalks! I have never skated so much in my life. It takes so much effort to get around that mountain. Do some landscaping will you! Snowboarders were riddled all over the place on the cats where they had to de-board and walk. It took a lot of skill to avoid running into them. As far as a cohesive village area or town, I was very disappointed. There is not a lot going on in S. Lake Tahoe, especially near the resort base. There were like 2 decent restaurants near the gondola and not much else. The bus to S. Lake took too long and there really isn't much over there. Another thing is that pretty much everyone we ran into on the slopes told us to go to Kirkwood. They all said it was way better than Heavenly. Next time I go to Tahoe, I think I'll be skipping Heavenly. Did I mention overpriced like whoa?