Easy-Going and Accessible

by: therockstarmom - Jan 24, 2009

Pros: Close to home, family friendly, not a lot of waiting

Cons: High ticket price for what you get

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2009

I've lived in the area all my life and have been skiing or boarding at Dodge for over twenty years. My family also used to rent a condo in Tahoe every winter when I was growing up, so I'm familiar with more than my own backyard. While the snow season at this elevation is sporadic, the snow can still be downright phenomenal every so often. Today was a great example. On a saturday, there were no lift lines, hardly anyone on the hill, and fresh powder up to two feet deep. Granted, it was snowing... all day, which kept all but the heartiest riders at home. I am a very accomplished skiier and can comfortably handle any terrain, and yet I have never grown tired of barrelling down a great intermediate run at break-neck speeds, and Dodge has plenty runs just perfect for this. If you like hitting the same spot over and over with minimal lift riding, Dodge won't be your favorite. You have to take more than one lift typically to traverse the mountain to get to certain spots. This never bothered me, however. But if you're uptight and used to micromanaging everything in your life, including your recreation, this will probably annoy the heck out of you. My only gripe is how expensive the prices have gotten. Gone are the midweek specials like "2-for Tuesdays". The cheapest season pass purchased pre-season is $350, which might have been even higher than Heavenly this year. But you know... whatever the market will bear. There are plenty crappy snow days at Tahoe, too. I was there between Christmas and New Years, and what a nightmare. There was a substantial storm the day before I arrived in South Shore, and yet within days Heavenly was losing snow and showing rocks EVERYWHERE. And I spent 4.5 hours in a traffic jam in the PARKING LOT of Sierra at Tahoe. And the conditions were NOT great! So for everyone thrilled with Tahoe's traffic jams, INSANE ticket prices, rude riders and worse staff, KEEP IT! We hillbilly's think Dodge is chill and fine just the way it is.