by: brianscale - 17th September 2007

I have a love hate relationship with Dodge. This was the resort that I first learned to ski and later snowboard. Some years the snowfall is lean and that has earned it the nickname "Dirt Ridge". Parking can be a problem on weekends too. I recomend arriving early on a weekend. They open the season late due to no snowmaking ability, and close early in the season due to dwindling crows/melting snow. I love it for the fact that on a clear day I can get from my house to there in an hour and a half. On weekdays I rarely ride a chair with anybody. Usually I am one of 50 skiers/riders. I have had some of my best ever powder days at Dodge. The terrain on the backside rivals that of many Tahoe resorts. Head over to one of the "Shots" and out through the Granite Bowl where you can find plenty of pillow lines and cliff drops. I don't usually ride park but they usually have a pretty awesome slopestyle course set up. The food is your avarage burgers sandwhiches salads etc. but I have never gone to any resort for the food. Most of the time a few granola bars in my jacket works for me. There is no lodging at the resort. There is limited lodging avaiable a few miles away at Pinecrest Lake resort and cabins for rent as well as a couple of group camps. There are motel rooms in the nearby town of Sonora as well. If you go try to go the day after a dump. After a few snowless days the sun wrecks havoc on the mountain and the Sierra Cement starts to set up. The staff does an excellent job grooming the mountain though so you can get in a bunch of warmup runs or mess around in the parks and hit the backside after lunch when the snow softens up.