by: txnewbie - 6th January 2012

good beginner lessons package
crowded and very short runs for beginners

Our family spent our very first skiing vacation here and for that reason Boreal will forever be special for us. We had a decent experience overall. It was very crowded right after Christmas, although one register told me it was not the worst they had seen. We participated in their beginner lesson program, 1st lesson $85, 2nd and 3rd $45 and then you get a free season pass. We are not from the area and left right after the 3rd lesson, so the season pass didn't really work for us. But I think it's a great deal for locals. Even for us with all rental equipments and limited lift ticket included in the package, it was still a good price. We adults enjoyed our lessons, especially 2 out of the 3 instructors we got. Unfortunately the kid's lessons were overcrowded so the kid didn't learn much. One thing I learned is that from now on I'll try my best to avoid renting equipments at the resort. We didn't have to pay extra money but we paid with our time. They were pretty efficient in the rental shop but we still spent at least an hour every day to get all our stuff. Most people working at the resort are friendly and helpful. We didn't have much natural snow but they made enough for 3 runs. There were lots of people in the lift lines but the operators managed to maintain order and efficiency, which I appreciated. Out of the 3 runs 1 is for super beginners and is way too short for me after my second lesson. Another run is meant for beginners but it has some steep areas that were scary for the others in my family. Also getting on and off that list was a bit challenging at first. But we all eventually got used to it and enjoyed coming down the hill. There were lots of lots of boarders. When it got warm and rained a little and the snow became slightly slushy I could easily see why some skiers have problem sharing the slopes with boarders -- the boards can do some damage to the snow alright. But we still enjoyed. Will I travel all the way to Boreal for a special ski vacation? I am not sure. Will I go there if I happen to be in the area? You bet. Overall I am glad I went and took my first steps into the skis there.