- Overall Rating 4
- Family Friendly 4
- All Mtn. Terrain 4
- Terrain Park 4
- Nightlife 3
Pros: huge dumps, friendly people, short waits mid-week
Cons: avoid weekends, early season gets freeze thaw conditions
Recommended For: Single/Newlyweds, Family Friendly, Empty Nesters
Date Visited: Jan 1, 2010
Some people must really like complaining, as while some complaints are valid some of the time, it definitely does not ring true the whole season round.
- I see people who have come in December and are complaining about heavy snow and freeze/thaw conditions. This is the early season folks, and the mountain base is only 1084 meters, so you're going to get some temperatures above zero from time to time, resulting in unfavourable conditions, but by the end of January it always stays below zero until mid/late March
- At a peak of 1589m and right by the ocean, champagne powder doesn't come around too often, but there are huge numbers of epic days, with many 40cm overnight dumps a season, with 20cm+ overnight happening regularly. Without the extended cold and dry conditions, one snowfall is only prime for 1-3 days typically, but it often gets several dumps in a week to refresh
- If weekends are your only chance to come up, then unfortunately it isn't the best mountain, as the entirety of Vancouver Island who is in the same boat is coming up as well. Busy line-ups and the snow is tracked out quickly.
- If you are available weekdays to ride, the mountain is amazing. Hardly any waits, first dibs on fresh snow, almost all locals and hardly any noobies
- COST/PASSES - Mid-week season's passes are a great deal at only $430 including tax for early bird rate, and is the best time to ride. Lift tickets aren't cheap at $62, but aren't expensive either. Whistler is $93 for a day people! I don't know who said that these two mountains are comparable in cost
- SNOW CONDITIONS - I check snow conditions religiously, and their snow report is completely accurate in terms of snowfall. Snow depth records are checked everyday at the same mid-mountain metering station, and when they say 15cm of fresh snow and I head up, the snow is there.
- THE PARK - Personally I don't ride the park that often, but this year is by far the best I've seen it, and the friends I have that ride solely park are very happy with the way it has been setup and maintained. In years past it has been hit and miss, but this year is dialed right in