by: czar from afar - 24th November 2008

Some days, fresh tracks every run of the day. Really.
The tickets are a liitle pricy, but accomodations are still reasonable

Last season in Fernie was the best ski experience of my life. We were there for an extended holiday and, of the 43 days, 27 had new snow, and 8 of them were over a foot of new snow. And I don't mean just any snow - this snow was so light that you could push your pole down to the hand grip and still stir it around without resistance; this was like skiing in tiny styrofoam balls. On the upper mountain, there were entire faces so steep and untracked that you could literally not feel any bottom. Okay, I got pretty lucky, but even on ordinary days, this place is a dreamscape. Better still, Fernie is still mainly undiscovered. Except for Christmas, there are typically no lift lines at all. Even on weekends, during the morning rush, I never found a line longer than 5 minutes, and any afternoon I could ski right onto the lift. A little local knowledge helps you to find the hidden routes, so take advantage of the free snow hosts - twice a day, every day. These are real mountain folks who live in the real mining town at the foot of the mountain. If you are more interested in the mountain than the stores, Fernie is your new favourite place. P.S. Worried that the place is too extreme for you? My mother skis there, and she is 73.